Animal Homeopathy in Australia from Acacia Animal Care, the dog, cat, horse, poultry and pet homeopathy expert.
Charissa has written a book about homeopathic research, designed to clarify simple research steps which are often confused, and to show the attributes and limitations of good quality homeopathic research. It is called Quantitative Homeopathic Research, Seven Simple Steps: The Little Black Book.. Hard Copies of this book may be obtained by emailing Charissa or phoning 0418 759 237 . Payment details will then be arranged. Cost $11 including post. If there is no phone answer,leave a message. This book is an allegorical tale for all research. The book can also be viewed on line through scribe'd, or seen here
- Hard copy ISBN 978-0-9870868-0-8
- Paperback ISBN 978-0-9870868-1-5
- E book ISBN 978-0-9870868-2-2
Homoeopathic remedies - how they are made?
They are made of substances diluted many times. Very dilute substances are used to treat diseases similar to those caused by the substance at full strength. almost any substance can be made into homeopathic remedy.The number of dilutions is called the potency. The potency affects the effect of the remedy. Above a 12 c dilution, there is no physical substance in the remedy.12 c means the substance has been diluted one to 100 times, with 12 serial repetitions .Between each dilution the substance is shaken or banged on a firm surface. This is called succussion.
Remedies are given while the symptoms are present, and stopped according to clinical appearance. There is a large pattern of symptoms for each remedy, and homeopaths are well trained and learned about these disease pictures.There are different schools of dose frequency and types of medicine, and there are many complex forms of medical homeopathy.
These medicines have increasing research to back them, especially from the Heel company of Germany, the producers of homeopathic complexes, the most commonly used being Traumeel S which has wide ranging uses:
- Birnesser, H., Oberbaum, M., Klein, P., Weiser, M., 2004. THE HOMEOPATHIC PREPARATION TRAUMEEL® S COMPARED WITH NSAIDS FOR SYMPTOMATIC TREATMENT OF EPICONDYLITIS Journal of Musculoskeletal Research 8, 119-128.
- Bohmer, D., Ambrus, P., 1992. Treatment of sports injuries with Traumeel ointment: a controlled double-blind study. Biological Therapies 10, 290-300.
- Oberbaum, M., Yaniv, I., Ben-Gal, Y., Stein, J., Ben-Zvi, N., Freedman, L., Branski, D., 2001. A randomized, controlled clinical trial of the *homeopathic* medication TRAUMEEL S (R) in the treatment of chemotherapy-induced stomatitis in children undergoing stem cell transplantation. Cancer 92, 684-690.
We are a long way from preventing all diseases with homeopathy, or of replacing vaccination with homeopathy. However, research shows that there is a place for homeopathy in epidemic disease prevention and management programs.
Homeopathy has been used to prevent disease, as shown in the doctoral thesis of Dr Isaac Golden( Golden, I., 2004. The Potential Value of Homeoprophylaxis in the Long Term Prevention of Infectious Diseases, and the Maintenance of General Health in Recipients. Graduate School of Integrative Medicine PhD, 292.).
There are many clinical case reports, and much historical data from disease outbreaks. For further information look at the websites of Dana Ullman (Ullman, D., 2006. Conference Report: Improving the success of homeopathy 5: A global perspective; London, January 26-27, 2006, Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital. Homeopathy 95, 190-193.) and Tinus Smits.
Based on the massive amount of clinical information, in the year 2009 the Govt of Cuba hosted a conference about the use of Homeopathy to prevent disease, (NOSODES 2008, an International Meeting on Homeoprophilaxis, Homeopathic Immunization and Nosodes against Epidemics), and has changed from vaccination to homeopathic prevention of the disease leptospirosis in human beings, giving out 2 million doses of homeopathic medicine as preventative to the population based on the research documented at this conference ( Dr. Concepción Campa, D.L.E.V., Dr. Esperanza Gilling, MCs. Rolando Fernández, Tec. Bárbara Ordaz, Dr. Gustavo Bracho, Dr. Luis García, Dr. Jorge Menéndez, Lic. Natalia Marzoa, Dr. Rubén Martínez., 2008. Homeoprophylaxis: Cuban Experiences on Leptospirosis).
The results are described in the Journal "Homeopathy"
Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control Original Research Article
Homeopathy, Volume 99, Issue 3, July 2010, Pages 156-166
Gustavo Bracho, Enrique Varela, Rolando Fernández, Barbara Ordaz, Natalia Marzoa, Jorge Menéndez, Luis García, Esperanza Gilling, Richard Leyva, Reynaldo Rufín, Rubén de la Torre, Rosa L. Solis, Niurka Batista, Reinier Borrero, Concepción Campa
International cooperation in support of homeopathy and complementary medicine in developing countries: the Tuscan experience
Homeopathy, Volume 99, Issue 4, October 2010, Pages 278-283
Elio Rossi, Mariella Di Stefano, Sonia Baccetti, Fabio Firenzuoli, Marco Verdone, Mario Facchini, Vuk Stambolovich, Martha Perez Viña, Maria José Caldés
Prophylaxis against Leptospirosis using a nosode: Can this large cohort study serve as a model for future replications?
Homeopathy, Volume 99, Issue 3, July 2010, Pages 153-155
Helmut Roniger, Jennifer Jacobs
Animal Studies of Homeopathy
- Bastide, M., Daurat,V., Doucet-Jsabouef, M., Pelegrin, A., and Dorfman, P. (1987) Immuomodulatory activity of very low doses of Thymulin in mice, International Journal of Immunotherapy. 3:191-200
- Bastide, M. (1986) An immunopharmacological study of very low doses of mediators in mice, Proc. 6th International Conference on Immunology.
- Berchieri, A., Jr., Turco, W.C.P., Paiva, J.B., Oliveira, G.H., Sterzo, E.V., 2006. Evaluation of isopathic treatment of Salmonella enteritidis in poultry. Homeopathy: The Journal Of The Faculty Of Homeopathy 95, 94-97.
- Cazin, J.C. (1987) A study on the effect of decimal and centessimal dilutions of arsenic on the retention and mobilisation of arsenic in the rat, Human Toxicology. 6:315-320.
- Day, C.E. (1987) Isopathic Prevention of Kennel cough, is vaccination justified? The International Journal of Veterinary Homeopathy. 2: 2.
- Day, C.E. (1992) Homoeopathic prophylaxis, The Veterinary Record. 131:295.
- Day, C.E. (1998) Homoeopathy, The Veterinary Record. 143:56.
- Endler, O.C., Pongratzw, Kasytberger, G., Weigant, F.A.C.,and Schulte, J. (1994) The effect of highly dilute agitated thyoxine on the climbing activity of frogs, The Journal of Veterinary and Human Toxicology. 36: 56-59
- Fausel, S.L. (1998) Debate regarding vaccination procedures and homeopathy, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 213:798
- Smith, C.F. (2003) An Overview of Homeopathic Research, Its problems and Future, Holistic Medicine, Post Graduate Foundation in Veterinary Science, Sydney University, Riverglen, Indooroopilly Brisbane. 351:193-214
- Pedalino, C., Perazzo, F., Carvalho, C., Martinho, K., Massoco, C.d.O., Bonamin, L., 2004 Effect of Atropa belladonna and Echinacea angustifolia in homeopathic dilution on experimental peritonitis Homeopathy 93, 193-198.
- Smith, C.F. (2003) The Treatment of Vaccinosis with Homeopathy, Holistic Medicine, Post Graduate Foundation in Veterinary Science , Sydney University, Brisbane. 351:233-240
- Wynn, S.W. (1998) Studies on the use of homeopathy in animals, The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 212:5,719-24.
- Youcbicier-simo, B.J., Boudard, F., Mekalaouche, M., Bayle, J.D., and Bastide, M. (1993) Effects of embryonic bursectomy and in ovo administration of highly dilute bursin on adrenocorticotropic and immune responses of chickens, The International Journal of Immunotherapy. 9:169-80
Human Studies of Homeopathy
- Banerji, P. (2001) Intracranial cysticercosis: an effective treatment with alternative medicines, In Vivo. 15 2: 184
- Benveniste, J., and Callabrese, J. (1992) Induction of high affinity paf-factor receptor expression during t cell activation, European Journal of Immunology. 22:1349-1355.
- Doubts as to Beneveniste's veracity have been expressed. This paper was published and accepted well before the still running controversy about the Nature basophil degranulation experiment. There are doubts about the validity of the work done by the investigation team assembled by Nature to investigate Benveniste’s research. These doubts are described in The Emerging Science of Homeopathy, Bellavitte, P., and Signorini, A. (1995) North Atlantic books, Berkley, California.
- Berkowitz, C.D. (1994) Homoeopathy: keeping an open mind, Lancet.344: 701-702
- Burgess, M. (1994) Homoeopathy and vaccination, Lancet. 344:1168.
- Ferley, J.P., Zmirou, D., D'Adhemar, D.,and Balducci, F. (1989) A controlled evaluation of a homoeopathic preparation in influenza-like syndromes, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 27:329-335.
- Fisher, P., Greenwood, A., Huskisson, E.C., Turner, and Belon, P. (1989) Effect of homoeopathic treatment on fibrositis (primary fibromyalgia), British Medical Journal. 299: 365-366.
- Isbell, W. (1991) Immunisation and homeopathy, The New Zealand Medical Journal. 104:237.
- Jacobs, J.W., Jiménez-Pérez, M., and Crothers, D. (2003) Homeopathy for childhood diarrhea: combined results and meta-analysis from three randomized, controlled clinical trials, Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 22,3: 229-34.
- Khuda-Bukhsh, A.R.,(2003) Towards understanding molecular mechanisms of action of homeopathic drugs: An overviewMolecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 253: 339–345.
- Kleijnen, J., Knipschild, P., and ter Riet, G. (1991) Clinical trials of homoeopathy, The British Medical Journal. 302: 316-323.
- Linde, K. et al.(1997) Are the clinical effects of homoeopathy placebo effects? A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials, The Lancet. 350, 9081: 834-43.
- Linde, K.,and Jobst, K.A. (2000) Homeopathy for Chronic Asthma, The Cochrane Library, 1: 2000.
- Linde, K., and Willich, S.N. (2003) How objective are systematic reviews? Differences between reviews on complementary medicine. The Journal of the Royal Society of Complementary Medicine. 96:1,17-22.
- Lehrke, P. Nuebling, and M. Hofmann, F. et al. (2001) Attitudes of homoeopathic physicians towards vaccination, Vaccine. 19:4859-64.
- Lkken, P., Straumsheim, P.A., Tveiten, D., Skjelbred, P., and Borchgrevink, C.F. (1995) Effect of homoeopathy on pain and other events after acute trauma: placebo controlled trial with bilateral oral surgery, British Medical Journal. 310:1439-42.
- Paterson, C. (1998) Correspondence: Metanalysis of homoeopathy, Lancet. 351 :9099.
- Pathak, S., Multani, A.S., and Banerji, P. (2003) Ruta 6 selectively induces cell death in brain cancer cells but proliferation in normal peripheral blood lymphocytes: A novel treatment for human brain cancer, International Journal of Oncology. 23,4:975
- Reilly, D., Taylor, M., Beattie, N., Campbell, J., McSharry, C., Aitchison, T., Carter, R., and Stevenson, R. (1994) Is the evidence for homoeopathy reproducible? Lancet. 343:1601-6.
- Sudan, B.J. (1997) Total abrogation of facial seborrhoeic dermatitis with extremely low-frequency (1,1:1 Hertz) imprinted water is not allergen or hapten dependent: a new visible model for homeopathy, Medical Hypothesis 48:6,477-9
- Taylor-Reilly, D., Taylor, M., McSharry, C., and Aitchison, T. (1986) Is homoeopathy a placebo response? Lancet. 2:881-886.
- Boericke, W. (1927) Pocket Manual of the Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, 1997 edition, B. Jain, San Francisco.
- Samuel Hahnemann wrote the original work on which all homeopathic medicines are based. Although this is not scientific in today’s terms, it was based on meticulously recorded multiple observations which are reported in the homeopathic publication called Organon, the last of which is the 6th edition published in 1833.
Accepted Complementary Medicine Journals (refer UQ e-journal list)
These include The British Journal of Homeopathy, (now called Homeopathy) and The Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Supporting papers from these journals are:
- Bellavite, P., Conforti, A., Piasere, V. & Ortolani, R., (2005), 'Immunology and homeopathy. 1. Historical background', Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 441-52.
- Bellavite, P., Conforti, A., Pontarollo, F. & Ortolani, R., (2006), 'Immunology and homeopathy. 2. Cells of the immune system and inflammation', Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 13-24
- Calzoni, G., Borghini, F., Del Giudice, E., Betti, L., Dal Rio, F., Migliori, M., Trebbi, G., and Speranza, A. (2003) Weak extremely high frequency microwaves affect pollen-tube emergence and growth in kiwifruit: pollen grain irradiation and water-mediated effects, Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 9:2 217-28.
- Patterson, R.E., Neuhouser, M.L., Hedderson, M.M., Schwartz, S.M., Standish, L.J., Bowen, D.J., and Marshall, L.M. (2002) Types of alternative medicine used by patients with breast, colon, or prostate cancer: predictors, motives, and costs, Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 8:4,477-85.
- Singh, L.M., and Gupta, G. (1985) Antiviral efficacy of homeopathic drugs against animal viruses, The British Homeopathic Journal. 74 :164
- Shuttleworth, V.S. (1998) Systemic contagious pustular dermatitis or ORF. Homeopathic treatment of humans, goats and sheep, The British Homeopathic Journal. 77,1:6-12. (This details the use of Thuja in skin disease, with one of the potencies to be used in the next experiment.)
- Smits, T. (2001) The post vaccination syndrome: Evaluation of a method and results of a prospective study, Homeopathic Links 14:4,214-8. (This details some of the most modern practice in the use of nosodes to treat post vaccinal and viral disease).
- Ullman, D. (2003) Controlled clinical trials evaluating the homeopathic treatment of people with human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome, The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 9:1, 133-41.
This company has produced an animal computer repertory which several veterinarians have reported to be useful - www.naturalhealingsoftware.com